GTR Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Could just be your battery making an annoyingly grand exit. These cars are sensitive to voltage and your haven't done any other mods then that's where my initial focus would be.

if you're able to charge the battery then I would do that and clear the codes and see what happens.

Have you tried clearing the codes yet? Did they come back immediately? If the codes didn't immediately come back then I would guess all the gears would work again.
Thank you for your reply
I cleared the codes, went for a drive still only the odd numbered gears with Tcm malfunction displayed on the dash guess I'll be having a learning week or two on the ins and outs of the GT-R. No codes were displayed on the ecutek when I re-ran the dtc check. Car isn't mapped and has not been launched according to the ecutek.
Thanks Brett

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just get it to your local GTR place and have them sort it.
Yeah I could take it to a garage however, as a mechanic of nearly 30 years i'd rather check all the easy stuff first before paying the extortionate GTR Tax thus is why i was asking if anyone else had any experiences of losing the even gears as it could be a quick fix. My next check will be to drop the gearbox solenoid pack out and give them a clean, checking to see if any have rotated etc also check all connectors are made. Some fresh oil and a clean of any magnetic debris might be all it needs. Nothing looks complicated with all the decent you tube videos from jacks transmissions of the stripping down of the solenoid pack etc. My plea was to gain any simple fixes that may be out there as i've never worked on a GT-R before apart from swapping out my inter-coolers that went two weeks after ownership.
Thanks for your input very helpful.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
As before, I suggest calling AC Speedtech and speaking to Alan or Andy directly as they will have seen as many GTR gearboxes as anyone in the UK and may be able to advise (hints & tips etc.) or otherwise assist.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As before, I suggest calling AC Speedtech and speaking to Alan or Andy directly as they will have seen as many GTR gearboxes as anyone in the UK and may be able to advise (hints & tips etc.) or otherwise assist.
Thanks for the info, I will phone Andy.

·
Vendor
490 Posts
I ran a Dtc check and the car came up with the following 4 codes

P0010 A camshaft position actuator
P0020 A camshaft position actuator
P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit
P0040 O2 Sensor Signals swapped
Those are all engine fault codes, not transmission, I'd clear those out and keep an eye on them though, maybe just a low voltage at some point, but would certainly monitor.

Have you got any transmission fault codes stored? If you've no codes, but possibly a 'clutch overheat warning' if you persevere trying to get it to move in 1st gear, then will most likely be a snapped clutch basket.

AC

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
Anyone got any other experience with just having odd gears?
Almost. Only even gears.

It was a broken shift fork.

So box had to come out, and a load of new bits (including a new set of clutch plates) went in.

Off it went on a lowloader to ACSpeedtech because there's no way I'd even contemplate driving around with a half a gear box.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Those are all engine fault codes, not transmission, I'd clear those out and keep an eye on them though, maybe just a low voltage at some point, but would certainly monitor.

Have you got any transmission fault codes stored? If you've no codes, but possibly a 'clutch overheat warning' if you persevere trying to get it to move in 1st gear, then will most likely be a snapped clutch basket.

AC
Those are the only codes that came up no transmission codes at all. After clearing the codes I drove it again and it only gave gears 1,3,5 and reverse I then plugged the ecutek in and no codes were there however the T/M malfunction was still showing on the dash with the yellow axlediagram light flashing. There was no untoward noises from the car whatsoever and it drove a further 12miles in gears 1,3,5 to get me home again with no noises. The ecutek says no launches the car has 64k full service history from middlehurst,litchfield and JD imports. In Nov 17 it had the following on a service sheet from JD imports

Remove VB and Clean all filters etc
New pentosin FFL4 fluid and clutch learn
ECUTEK gearbox license
New TCM software - latest one

I can't find any info saying if the solenoid clips were fitted if a piston has rotated could this cause the loss of the even gears?

Thanks for your time
Brett

·
Vendor
490 Posts
If there's a flashing transmission light then there will be a code stored, are you reading the TCU? or just the ECU?
At that mileage there's a few wear and tear related issues we commonly see. Double check you're reading the TCU and let us know!
AC

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If there's a flashing transmission light then there will be a code stored, are you reading the TCU? or just the ECU?
At that mileage there's a few wear and tear related issues we commonly see. Double check you're reading the TCU and let us know!
AC
Right I was being thick.....awaiting incoming!
Having got my ecutek Bluetooth I downloaded the software app onto my phone, plugged the Bluetooth device into the car and went into read the DTC codes not realising it was on a demo mode for GT-R! So the four fault codes were not from my car but from a demo! How stupid do I feel.....I've used lots of these Bluetooth devices before on various cars and always been plug and play without a demo mode!

Anyway back to my car, the codes coming up are:

TCM
P2832 shift fork "A" position circuit
ESUS
C1D04

Cleared the faults, dash light still flashing, tried a clutch learn which failed. Haven't tried driving the car at all due to the light still flashing.

·
Vendor
490 Posts
No problem, we've had sillier moments!
...the code is for a shift fork... but could be one of about 8 things causing said shift fork not to be where it's supposed to be. Could be a simple fix! ...or not... give us a call tomorrow (before 10am would have best chance) and we'll try and talk you through a few scenarios.
Andy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No problem, we've had sillier moments!
...the code is for a shift fork... but could be one of about 8 things causing said shift fork not to be where it's supposed to be. Could be a simple fix! ...or not... give us a call tomorrow (before 10am would have best chance) and we'll try and talk you through a few scenarios.
Andy
Brilliant, thanks Andy fingers crossed it's something simple!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update.

So I completely forgot to give an update on my issue, apologies.

About a month ago I finally fixed my problem on only being able to select odd gears, it turned out to be a selector solenoid piston that had spun on the selector fork therefore not aligning up with its respective magnet.

I managed to source some solenoid clips and fit them to prevent future issues, refilled the gearbox with some fresh oil which has now given me all my gears back. All the gear teeth were in good order, selectors free and no broken synchro teeth.

I'd like to say a big thanks to Andy at AC Speedtech for giving me his time and his valuable advice, much appreciated.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts